Development progress? Community resources?

Hi. I’m very intrigued by this solution and want to know more. However, the forum hasn’t seen a lot of posts recently and the last blog post was in mid Feb.
Is there some other place folks that are evaluating Git X-modules can track development progress? What’s the latest news? Is there a roadmap?

Also, there’s been a dearth of reviews. Would any community members like to do a write-up and/or a video? I feel like it’s a little hard for anyone evaluating to realistically determine if this is the right solution for them and get a sense of the project’s popularity, longevity, and growing community support.

Thanks in advance,
David

Hi David,

I’m so glad you’re asking these questions, thanks for your interest!

I’m very intrigued by this solution and want to know more.

That’s great! I wonder what is the primary problem you’re trying to solve with Git X-Modules?

Also, I’d appreciate it a lot if you could fill in this form on typical problems that developers face while working with Git repositories, monorepos and submodules:

However, the forum hasn’t seen a lot of posts recently and the last blog post was in mid Feb.
Is there some other place folks that are evaluating Git X-modules can track development progress? What’s the latest news? Is there a roadmap?

This community forum is the primary source for news on Git X-Modules and other products our company is working on at the moment. Other than this forum, we occasionally post on twitter, but not that frequently, to be honest. In any case my colleagues and I would be glad to discuss your feature requests and any kind of reports on our product.

By the way, I think it’s a great opportunity to share our plans with you. Usually, we prefer to plan our development roadmap according to the feedback from our users. At the moment there are two major requests we hear from our users on this forum and during the conference calls:

1. Branch rules:
    ability to map any branches in a parent repository to branches in its modules, e.g. map refs/heads/foo to refs/heads/modules/foo. We’ve implemented that feature recently for our GitHub app but there are certain things that we’d like to improve in this area.

2. Modules file descriptor:
    we do our best to make the X-Modules UI clear and user-friendly, but many users want to add and edit their modules right within a Git repository. We’re going to introduce support for .xmodules file in a commit file tree, so one could edit this file in order to add new modules or adjust settings for existing modules:

[module "xyz"]
        url = https://github.com/org/repo
        path = modules/xyz
        merge = subtree
        squash = never
        ref = if refs/heads/main sync refs/heads/main
        ref = if refs/heads/feature/* sync refs/heads/project/feature-{1}

This feature has the highest priority for us at the moment. Unfortunately, our resource are quite limited and so it’s hard to estimate when this feature becomes available.

Also, there’s been a dearth of reviews. Would any community members like to do a write-up and/or a video?

That’s true. Git X-Modules is a relatively new product, but occasionally we receive reviews from our clients to our support email and Gartner peers review system. Unfortunately, those reviews are mostly private.

I feel like it’s a little hard for anyone evaluating to realistically determine if this is the right solution for them and get a sense of the project’s popularity, longevity, and growing community support.

I think the best way to evaluate Git X-Modules is just give it a try and then let us know on this forum how it works for you. Our team is always here to help and resolve any issues as soon as possible.

Git X-Modules is the third and the youngest product in our product line. We’ve been building SCM tools for almost 20 years, starting from SVNKit then to SubGit and now to Git X-Modules. So, when it comes to the product support and its longevity there’s no shortage of that :)

In any case, I appreciate your feedback, look forward to hearing from you on the problems you’re facing, so we can suggest any possible solution. Thank you in advance!

Hi. Thanks for the very prompt and helpful reply. It’s really great to hear about the path forward and community-driven feature development. Full transparency, I haven’t actually kicked the tires of Git X-Modules just yet. I think it’s important to clarify that in fairness to any possible misinterpretation of my last sentence.

I feel like it’s a little hard for anyone evaluating to realistically determine if this is the right solution for them…

Never skip breakfast. I’m sure test driving the solution more than answers whether it’s a good fit. I had meant something more akin to scouting out existing approaches and solutions before committing any time to tinkering. It sounds like, in due time, this will be a great deal easier. Until then, I suppose it’ll be time for me to dip my toes in after the holidays.

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

Fair enough, just let us know if you have any questions specific to your Git setup or if you have any questions in general.

I look forward to hearing from you on how things work for your repositories. Thanks!

1 Like