Inquiry about sqljet license

Hello Tmate Soft team,

I hope you’re doing well and before anything I want to thank you sincerely for your contributions to free software.

I am the project leader of OmegaT, a 20-year-old Java GPL3 application that keeps helping professional translators around the world.

We are what’s called a “Computer Aider Translation” tool, and you may know our proprietary colleagues under the names of Trados or MemoQ.

OmegaT uses SVNKit in its “team project” function (that uses either an SVN or a git server, based on the user’s environment). That function is a vital part of OmegaT since it provides for free what proprietary tools ask thousands of dollars for (similar functions would be used in translation agency or corporate settings, etc.)

As you probably know, sqljet is a dependency of SVNKit, but sqljet’s license seems to be GPL 2.0 only (and not GPL 2.0 + or GPL 3.0, etc.).

As we are working on publishing a new version, we were checking all our dependencies and found that incompatibility (you most probably know that GPL 2.0 is not compatible with GPL 3.0).

So, we were wondering if there could be a way around that issue, like you changing the sqljet license to TMate Open Source License or something that would allow us to use it as a dependency.

Thank you in advance for your consideration,

Jean-Christophe Helary

Hello Jean-Christophe,

thanks for your inquiry! We’ll add GPL 3.0 to the SQLJet license in the next release of SVNKit. We’ve just published new SVNKit version few days ago, so expect the next one to be published in about a month.

Regards,
Alexander Kitaev.

Alexander,

Thank you very much for your consideration.

We’ll be updating our dependencies when you have a new version.

Sincere regards,

Jean-Christophe Helary

Alexander,

We are currently preparing a new version release that partially depends on SQLJet being GPL 3.0.

We are aiming for mid-November.

Would you happen to have news about your new version release ?

Regards,

Jean-Christophe Helary

Hello Jean-Christophe, Ildar’s here

We don’t have news about new version yet, but we plan to get everything done soon so that it’ll be ready by mid-November.

Ildar,

Thank you very much for getting back to us.

That gives us that much time to fine-tune our release.

JC

Hi Jean-Christophe,

I’m glad to inform that we have just release SQLJet 1.1.15 that is GPL 3.0, and SVNKit 1.10.9 that is based on the latest SQLJet.

Ildar,

Thank you so much !

We’re still fixing a few things for our release but this comes at a perfect timing !

Jean-Christophe

Ildar,

Just for your information:

Jean-Christophe