Who is using x-modules?

Hello,

Looks like x-modules is what I’ve been hoping/looking for regarding the organization of my code base.

1. Who is using x-modules currently?
  2. Will x-modules one day be a standard part of git or will it remain an add-on?
  3. Will it work with any git repo or do I need use Atlassian or perhaps Gitlab in the future?

Thanks,
Pawel

Hello Pawel,

Thank you for your interest in X-Modules!

1. There are quite a few users, you can find some of them on this forum. However, we don’t know how large their companies are, etc.

2. I don’t think it will ever become a part of Git, because Git already has submodules (that are heavily criticized, though).

3. Git X-Module currently has 2 implementations:

• an app for Atlassian Bitbucket Data Center (self-hosted);

• a command-line tool for any Git server (also self-hosted).

We are now making final touches to the new tool, a SaaS that will work with cloud-based GitHub, Gitlab and Bitbucket.

1. A question that you didn’t ask but perhaps would like to know :-)
  • the Bitbucket app is free as it is still officially “beta”, but will eventually become paid;
  • the command-line tool is and will be free and open-source (soon).
  • the new SaaS will have free and paid subscriptions, the pricing is not determined yet.

Hello Dmitry,

Thank you for the quick response.

1. What’s the Bitbucket app for? Why would one need it?
  2. You mentioned a future SaaS subscription. What exactly is the service? Will this be a code management app like Gitlab or Bitbucket?

Yes, definitely interesting. I will try the open source tool first and test.

Or perhaps I’m not understanding something yet. In order for x-modules to work, you need a running server somewhere to manage the git commands? This doesn’t happen automatically from my command line?

BTW, I develop in Ubuntu so I use the Linux tech stack.

Thanks,
Pawel

Pawel,

1. The Bitbucket app is for those who use Bitbucket Data Center as their Git server. They can use Git X-Modules as an integral part of it, with the same graphic interface etc. It also has a few features specific for Bitbucket.

2. Git X-Modules as SaaS will be a service that synchronizes Git repositories, hosted on various cloud Git servers, such as GitHub, GitLab and Bitbucket Cloud. It doesn’t provide any other functionality except that. So, after you set up the synchronization at the service’s website, you won’t need to visit it again. Think of it as Zapier or ITTT for Git.

3. Git X-Modules CLI (command-line) is a server-side application, that has to be installed on the same server as the bare Git repository, to which you’re adding modules. Git X-Modules installs hooks to this repository. The external (module) repositories may be located elsewhere (but for testing purposes it’s easier to have them on the same server).

There’s a special “Demo” feature in CLI that you might like to use:
https://doc.tmatesoft.com/display/GITX/gx+demo

Thank you for the information.