Wrong commit author

Hi, I came across the wrong author for commits which breaks the sync process.
The gitconfig shows the correct author, however, I found “support@subgit.com”.

Do you have any idea how it might happen and what I am supposed to do to avoid this situation in the future?

Hello Anton,
could you describe the situation in detail?

1. What do you mean by “breaks the sync process”? Do you mean that SVN Mirror/SubGit stops working or do you mean that you have some scripts that check commit authors and somehow don’t allow commit with such authors?
  2. Could you share the commit message of such commits? I mean the following: internally SubGit is using special commits to store metadata, it keeps them under refs/svn/map reference, so you’ll see a lot of commits with “support@subgit.com” as an author if you run
git log refs/svn/map

Usually such commits have messages like “Translated-from: GIT” or “Translated-from: SVN”.

These commits are useful, because once you clone the Git repository, you can then configure the cloned working copy according to this chapter:

TMate SubGit: Remote Book

Then if you run “git fetch”

git log

command will show revision numbers near the Git commits.

This is done using “Git notes” feature of Git and the notes are based on the additional commits. You can find more information about Git notes here: Git - git-notes Documentation

1. To map SVN authors and Git authors for normal commits (not special commits keeping metadata), SubGit uses authors.txt file. You can read more on that topic here: TMate SubGit: Authors mapping

Normally such commits should have “support@subgit.com” as the authors. Otherwise it would be a bug.

To conclude: I think that you’ve encountered into those special commits keeping metadata. There’s no way to get rid of them, they are important for the translation process. But I’ll wait for details from you to be sure that my guess is correct.

Hi Dmitry.

1. I have an allowlist of users allowed to commit to my GIT repository. I had created a special user placed into the list. Author “support @subgit.com” is not on this list.
  2. Yes, there are tons of commits from “support @subgit.com”:
$ git show 76e4e3b2e3c3ea0083d3f6af48a46d7f50f47347
commit 76e4e3b2e3c3ea0083d3f6af48a46d7f50f47347 (refs/svn/map, refs/notes/commits)
Author: subgit <support@subgit.com>
Date:   Wed Dec 22 18:17:31 2021 -0800

Translated-from: SVN

diff --git a/89/03/9e0b213f7a04605943463761e1e60f94f2fb b/89/03/9e0b213f7a04605943463761e1e60f94f2fb
new file mode 100644
index 000000000000..2d3d4531ed82
--- /dev/null
+++ b/89/03/9e0b213f7a04605943463761e1e60f94f2fb
@@ -0,0 +1 @@
+r420092 trunk/manage
\ No newline at end of file

According to your comments, I am a bit confused as the commit refuses by disallowed author in notes.
Is it correct that it is impossible to change author for commits in notes from “support @subgit.com” to mine particular user?

Hello Anton,
at the moment there’s no way to change “support@subgit.com”. We could add an option to the future version or create a special build for you with a hidden option to change this e-mail to something else. But with the current latest version it’s not possible.

Hi Dmitry.

Both options are exciting. Could you please tell me when we can expect it? Do you need something for us to implement a solution?

Hello,
sorry for a delay. I’ve created an issue for that:

https://issues.tmatesoft.com/issue/SGT-1335

If it’s ok for you to use an intermediate build, I’ll created it tomorrow or on Thursday. Otherwise you can wait for a new release (3.3.13).

Hi Dmitry.

Could you please tell me when a new release is expected?

Hi Anton, Ildar’s here

we plan to release 3.3.13 in a couple of weeks, I’ll let you know as it’s ready.

Hi Anton,

I’m grad to inform we have released the new version, it’s already available on our website: